The roots of Concord Baptist Church are found in the history of the Brainerd Mission to the Cherokee Indians, established in 1817. When the Indians were moved to Oklahoma in 1838, the remaining settlers formed their own church, meeting in brush arbors and homes until they could build a log building known as the "Concord Meeting House." On January 29, 1848, they officially organized as the "Baptist Church of Christ at Concord." During the Civil War, their building was used as a hospital and was later burned because of a small pox epidemic (c. 1863).
In 1869 the men of the church constructed a new frame building with two front doors. The custom of the day was for women to enter and sit on the right side and for men to sit on the left. The congregation outgrew its facilities and another building was constructed in 1909. This white frame church was a landmark in the community until October 1932, when the building accidentally burned.
The members rallied again and by the fall of 1933 were worshiping in the basement of a newly planned sanctuary. The sanctuary was completed in 1940. A new educational wing was constructed in 1955. In 1962 the church broke ground for a new sanctuary that was completed in 1967. A gym was added in 1976 and a children's building in 1994. Most recently, our campus was renovated in 2004, including the addition of an entry atrium, an elevator allowing access to every floor in our building, and a fresh face on the sanctuary and gym.
Buildings are visible milestones of a church's progress, but the true value of a church is reflected in the faithful lives of its members and the people they have touched in Christ's name. For over one hundred and sixty years, Concord has been preaching the good news of Jesus, making disciples, ministering to the community, and supporting the spread of the gospel around the world. Our prayer is that the Lord will continue building a meaningful history of ministry through us.